Tuesday, March 15, 2011

What is a Tragus?

After writing my post yesterday, I forgot to mention one very obvious characteristic of my son. How could I forget? We see him do this daily! Not just once, but multiple times during the day. It affects his posture and makes it easy to stim by seeing the world in a whole new perspective.  I am amazed that he doesn't have torticollis. It happens when I raise my voice or even with just a whisper. It happens when he’s done something wrong. It happens when he hears music. It happens when there is a loud sound. It happens when he wants to “shut down”. It happens in anticipation, and sometimes… IT JUST HAPPENS.

When you see my son, you will see him with one finger on a tragus and the other tragus clamped down by the upward force of his shoulder. A tragus you ask? WHAT in the world is a tragus? Never in a million years would I have ever cared or tried to research or learn what this part of the body is. Maybe I learned it in anatomy class. Clearly not a term I cared to retain. But, now, my interest is sparked? Is yours? Because, after all, how do you explain to someone what that little thingy, flap of skin is coming out of the side of your head that goes in front of the opening of your ear and then, when you press it, it blocks out sound? See, what I mean, I couldn’t ever explain that and sound the least bit intelligent.

So, just for kicks, here is the word of the day:
Tragus: The triangular , cartilaginous projection in front of the external opening of the ear.

2 comments:

  1. This is going to be a great blog! ps Don't know why my name shows up as mm. I am trying to fix that. This is Mary Jo!

    ReplyDelete