Saturday, March 19, 2011

Every minute counts…in Joe’s Basement

So, last night, we went out to dinner to celebrate my husband’s birthday at Buca Di Beppo. Some of you may know that the name of this chain restaurant simple translates to Joe’s Basement, thus the title to this blog.

Going out to eat isn’t easy for us.  Waiting is difficult. Background music is annoying and the sights and sounds that accompany the restaurant ambiance can be downright frustrating for a child with autism.

There is a lot of planning and a BIG purse that’s involved when taking on such an adventure. I made sure the reservations were made well in advance. I brought out the largest purse I have and filled it with headphones, fruit snacks, tootsie rolls, toys, stickers, a bank and some pennies and any other thing I could think of that would get us through any difficult moments we might encounter.

We arrived a bit early, and standing in the entrance, he was getting antsy. Lucky for us, he was fascinated by the blinking chandelier above our head. That kept him occupied…for a minute.

As everyone arrived, he became excited to see so many familiar people all in one place at one time. He greeted each one uniting them hand in hand.  We all knew he wanted us to join in on HIS game of “jumping”.  As silly as we looked, we all obliged to keep him occupied…for a minute.

Our table was ready. So away we went to our seat. The tour took us through the kitchen. He saw the pizza coming out of the oven and I thought at that moment, he was going to lose control, but he didn’t. As we ventured through the hallways and rooms, the sights of all the tchotchkes kept him occupied…for another minute.

My husband and I strategically placed him between us in a booth. He had a smile on his face as he watched each family member take their seats. That kept him occupied…for a minute.

He looked around, taking it all in. You could sense the nervousness coming upon him. I hurriedly reached into my purse and pulled out his headphones. That kept him calm…for a minute.

He again became restless and made his way across my lap and over to my father in law. Papaw’s hugs contented him…for a minute.

The food took quite long to come out and he could not handle it any longer…he pointed and then bolted. My sister in law caught him to delay his exit. To the floor he fell. No tears or anger, just a sense of panic. So, down the hallway we walked to distract him…for a minute.

Back to the table, between us he sat. I resorted to my big bag of tricks and got out the TOOTSIE ROLL bank and had him fill it with pennies. That kept him busy… for a minute.

FINALLY, the food arrived. A big plate full of spaghetti….THAT kept him busy for about TEN minutes.

Dinner was done and the waiting brought on more anxiety. Again to the floor he fell. Hands over his ears and his eyes shut tight. As I coerced him to stand, down the hallway we walked again to occupy him…. for another minute.

Back to the table, between us he sat; thank heavens for Grandma’s calculator that kept him content… for a minute.

Out came dessert with the waiters clapping and singing. My son loves this part of celebrations. He had a smile on his face and he was excited as could be. Whipped cream, ice cream and a brownie…This was THE minute HE was waiting for ! 

and now mom and dad could relax  ...for a few more minutes !

No comments:

Post a Comment